Buying a building with specified systems

Last updated: 15 March 2016

If you are thinking of buying a building with any specified systems, it is important to do your research first so you are aware of the ongoing responsibilities.

As the new owner of a property, you will become responsible for the proper functioning of all specified systems in the building.

This includes making sure the required inspections and maintenance are carried out, and that you issue an annual building warrant of fitness (BWoF).

Before you purchase a building

You should check to make sure the building you are looking to purchase has a BWoF for its specified systems.

The vendor of the building should be able to provide you with the BWoF documents. Your local council will also have copies of the documents you should verify.

It is a good idea to view the maintenance logs and service records for all the specified systems to ensure the compliance schedule has been complied with to date.

Check which IQPs are used

You may find it helpful to ask which independent qualified persons (IQPs) the vendor currently uses to inspect, maintain and report on the building’s specified systems. You might wish to contact the same IQPs since they already have knowledge of the building’s systems.

However, you may also prefer to get quotes and contract other IQPs.

Notify your council

Once you have purchased the building, you will need to let your council know you are the new owner.

The council will amend their records, including the compliance schedule, to reflect your details.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: