Understand your land so you design well

Last updated: 15 May 2016

When scoping your building project, find out about your land and whether your ideas will work, including consents or permits you might need to meet legal restrictions.

Local and regional plans, resource consent and permits

Talk to your council and see what information they have about your property. They can tell you about local and regional plans, and how they might impact on your project. If that's the case, you might need to apply for resource consent or other permits specific to your area.

The more you know, the better prepared you will be, your plans will be better informed and you might save time and money by making a good building consent application. You could also avoid the need to make last minute changes or costly amendments during construction.

PIMs and LIMs

Once you've got an idea of what you want to build, you can also purchase a project information memorandum (PIM) from your council. A PIM can help you decide whether your planning and building project is possible and practical, and will help you and your designer create effective plans.

You might also find useful information in a land information memorandum (LIM), often purchased prior to buying a property. However it's not project-specific and may be out of date. Your most up-to-date information will come directly from your council.

Land Information Memorandum (LIM)

Land Information Memorandum are explained more thoroughly on the New Zealand Legislation website.

Visit the New Zealand Legislation website

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: