Complain about a building contractor

Last updated: 16 March 2018

You can lodge a complaint with MBIE if your building contractor has not provided you with their disclosure statement, standard checklist or a written contract and you asked for this, or your building work cost $30,000 or more (including GST). These consumer protection measures came into force on 1 January 2015.

Homeowner rights and obligations explains the requirements.

We will investigate and determine whether to issue the contractor with an infringement fine. Each infringement can be subject to a fine of $500.

To complain, download and complete the Residential building work complaint form and return it by email to or post to:

Investigations Team
Occupational Regulation
Te Whakatairanga Service Delivery
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 1473
Wellington 6140

Member of other trade or professional body

If your contractor is a member of a trade or professional body you may be able to make a complaint to that group. Each group is different in what it covers or guarantees but may include loss of deposit, defects and non-completion of work (usually up to set limits and subject to conditions).

Trade or professional bodies include:

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: