Formal complaints

Last updated: 19 December 2023

Formal complaints

If you are unable to resolve your problem by other means, you could consider applying to us for a determination or making a formal complaint.


Determinations explains what you can apply about and how to apply. 

You might be able to complain to us about:

Other resolution options

If your building practitioner is not licensed or connected to any trade or professional body you will have to look at options other than making a complaint (for example, pursuing the matter through your contract, the Disputes Tribunal or the courts).

Resolution options includes dispute resolution, activating your consumer rights, contracts, Disputes Tribunal and the courts.

Contact us if you are unsure about what to do next.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: