Step 5: Stay or move out?

If your house was damaged by the Hurunui/Kaikōura Earthquake, you may need to move to temporary accommodation while your home is rebuilt or repaired.

  1. There is a temporary accommodation service for people affected by the Hurunui/Kaikōura Earthquake.
  2. You can apply for temporary accommodation online or in person.
  3. You can list undamaged property as temporary accommodation.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) and the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) have set up a service to help people find suitable temporary accommodation.

There is generally a cost for temporary accommodation. You should first check with your insurance company to see if they are able to assist with this cost. If not, you can contact MSD to see if assistance is available.

Apply for temporary accommodation

Apply for temporary accommodation using the form on the Temporary Accommodation website.

Complete the online form and you will be contacted by a staff member who will assess your needs and work with you to help you find suitable temporary housing.

If you are not able to access the form, you can call 0800 673 227 to discuss your requirements.

You can also register in person at MSD Work and Income Service Centres and Kaikōura Heartlands.

For further information see the Temporary Accommodation website.

Register your property as temporary accommodation 

If you have accommodation in the regions affected by the Hurunui/Kaikōura Earthquake which could be used as temporary accommodation, please register your property with the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. A Temporary Accommodation Service staff member will contact you if your property matches the needs of clients who have registered for temporary accommodation. 

Contact the Temporary Accommodation Service to register your property.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: