How to get help

If you need further information or you have a query, please contact one of the options below.

  • Earthquake Commission (EQC) 
    Contact EQC for information about land claims
    Phone: 0800 326 243
  • Temporary Accommodation Service
    Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (MBIE)
    Phone: 0800 673 227
  • Ministry of Social Development (MSD)
    Phone: 0800 559 009
  • Insurance and Financial Services Ombudsman
    To resolve any complaints about insurance services:
    Phone: 0800 888 202
  • Licensed Building Practitioners

And don’t forget:

  • Get approval from your insurance company before you begin rebuilding or repairing your home. Let your insurer know if any urgent safety work is required to protect your home.
  • Talk to your local council about your whether your rebuild or repair requires a building consent.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: