Are there any problems with the property title?

Seek legal advice about the property title. In particular you need to know about easements, including rights of way.

Buyers should make their offers conditional on a title search to identify any problems ahead of actual purchase.

If you are buying a household unit from someone who had the property built or built it themselves for the purpose of selling (called an on-seller) there are special requirements.

The on-seller must get the build signed off by the council (code compliance certificate) before completing the sale, or before allowing a purchaser to take possession of the household unit.

The only exception is if the on-seller and purchaser sign an agreement to waive this requirement.

Get the build signed off explains sign-off responsibilities.

The property law section of the New Zealand Law Society website can help you find a lawyer if you don’t have one.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: