Checking for weathertightness problems

Weathertight Services within the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment can tell you if a property is or has been subject to a claim to the Weathertight Homes Resolution Service.

Weathertight Services 

Councils are obliged to identify in Land Information Memorandum (LIM) reports whether a property is or was subject to a Weathertight Services claim. However properties that have been subject to weathertightness claims through the courts or private actions do not have to be identified. Homes requiring re-cladding require a building consent from the local council.

What about newly built houses?

People planning to build a new house should discuss weathertightness matters with the architects, designers and builders involved. If any concerns arise, seek advice from an experienced, qualified consultant with weathertightness expertise. Money spent at the planning stage can avoid costly problems in the future.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: