Part 2: Sanitary plumbing and drainlaying carried out by an authorised person

Find out what sanitary plumbing and drainlaying work doesn't require a building consent if it is carried out by an authorised plumber or drainlayer.

Read the guidance below or go back to Building work that does not require a building consent.

More details

Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004 covers exemptions that only apply if an authorised person carries out the building work. The term ‘authorised person’ is defined in section 42A(3) of the Building Act and effectively covers:

  • registered certifying plumbers and drainlayers
  • registered plumbers and drainlayers working under supervision
  • plumbers and drainlayers with a provisional licence working under supervision, and
  • trainee plumbers and drainlayers working under supervision.

There are seven exemptions in Part 2 in two broad categories:

  • plumbing and drainage
  • water heaters.

Note: The general conditions and limits of section 42A of the Building Act also apply to all Schedule 1 exemptions.

Check they are authorised to do the work

It is recommended that you, the owner, should verify before any work commences, that the plumber and/or drainlayer you propose to use has current authorisation from the Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayers Board. This can be done by asking to see their authorisation card, and/or by checking the online public register of plumbers, gasfitters and drainlayers

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: