12. Signage

This section includes construction of both small and large signs.

More details

For large sign removal, please see section 1.

The table below shows the exemptions included in this section and the professional you will need to hire.

  Description* Is an authorised professional legally required? Who can provide professional advice?
12.1 Signs up to 6sqm, with 3 metre height limit No Licensed Building Practitioner
12.2 Signs with no restrictions on size Yes, for both construction and demolition Chartered Professional Structural Engineer


*Owners must look at the relevant section of guidance to identify under which detailed conditions the building work qualifies for the exemption.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: