Compliance with other legislation


As well as information relating to compliance with the Building Code, documents submitted in support of a proposed minor variation may also need to include information relevant to the territorial or regional authority’s other statutory responsibilities. For example, the consent applicant may need to include details showing that the building work will continue to comply with:

  • the District or Regional Plan or with other requirements under the Resource Management Act 1991
  • other Acts, such as the Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayers Act 2006
  • council bylaws.

In these cases, the BCA may grant a minor variation, but include a reference to the requirements of other legislation administered by the territorial or regional authority. Those other requirements are, however, outside the scope of the Act and of this guidance document.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: