Minor variations to building consents: Guidance on definition, assessment and granting

Builder marking out a timber saw-line

If you want to make a small change to your building consent, ask your council if you can make a minor variation rather follow the formal amendment process.

More details

This guidance is to help councils, builders, designers and project managers understand:

  • the legislation that provides for minor variations to building consents
  • how to define minor variations in practice
  • how councils should assess and grant minor variations
  • recommended council systems and processes for dealing with minor variations.

The guidance is not intended for homeowner applicants, as it assumes a knowledge and understanding of the Building Act 2004 (the Act) and its requirements that most homeowner applicants will not have.

We recommend that councils take this guidance into account when developing and implementing their own policies, systems and procedures for minor variations. However, if they have legal questions about minor variations and about the policies, systems and procedures they should adopt, councils should seek their own independent legal advice.

  • Published on 1 January 2010
  • Of interest to Building consent authorities, Builders, Designers,
  • 1st edition

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: