Certificate of acceptance

Last updated: 15 March 2016

You can apply to your council for a certificate of acceptance for work done without a building consent, or in specific circumstances when a code compliance certificate (CCC) can’t be issued.

It's up to the council, but a certificate of acceptance can usually be issued for work done after 1 July 1992 (when building consents were introduced) and either:

  • was urgent, necessary to protect lives or property and there was no time to get a consent (see section 42 of the Building Act 2004)
  • an owner (or previous owner) should have got consent but didn't (under either the 1991 or 2004 Building Acts)
  • an accredited building consent authority (not a territorial or regional authority) granted consent but is unable or refuses to issue a code compliance certificate
  • was started or consented before 31 March 2005 and affects public premises.

The value of a certificate of acceptance to the building owner and a potential buyer will ultimately depend on how much of the work the council was able to inspect. In many circumstances, it's not possible to see everything so the certificate will only specify the elements of the building that can be approved.

A certificate of acceptance has some similarities to a code compliance certificate in that it will provide some verification for a building owner or future owners that part or all of certain building work complies with the Building Code.

A council should process a certificate of acceptance within 20 working days, and can either grant or decline your application.

If the application is declined the council must issue a notice to fix. The notice to fix should set out what remedial work needs to be done so that the work complies.

Local councils

Will have specific information related to your region.

Find your local council

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: