Gas and electrical work, and energy work certificates

Last updated: 15 March 2016

Building owners should receive an energy work certificate from any electrical worker or gasfitter working on their property. This certifies that the work, connected to the energy supply, is safe, legal and complete.

You need to include any energy work certificates with your code compliance certificate application, when you apply for council sign off at the end of a building project. You may also need to give a copy of the gas certificate to the gas provider before they will supply your gas.

Keep energy work certificates in a safe place, as you may also need them if you decide to sell your property.

Energy Safety, the government agency responsible for monitoring, encouraging and enforcing compliance with electricity and gas supply-related laws, recommends consumers:

  • always use a licensed tradesperson for any gasfitting or electrical work (a homeowner can carry out a limited range of electrical work)
  • ask to see their current practising licence before contracting anyone to do such work
  • keep copies of certification information relating to any gasfitting or electrical work on your property - such as receipts, invoices and certificates. These documents may be useful when selling a property, making an insurance claim or in the event of raising a claim or complaint about the work itself
  • check the certification documents include the relevant Authentication Mark indicating they are legitimate and genuine (have a look on the Energy Safety website linked below).
  • if concerned about any aspect of gasfitting or electrical work on your property, try to resolve it with the tradesperson directly. If that is unsuccessful, contact the relevant worker registration board for advice or assistance.

The public electrical worker register will help you find a registered electrical worker as well as information about the work they do and how to resolve a problem on the Electrical Workers Registration Board website.

The Plumber, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board website, has information about their work and how to resolve any problems you may have.

You can also find information about gas and electrical work in the consumer section of the Energy Safety website.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: