Get advice from a building professional

Last updated: 30 March 2017

For advice on the work involved in securing parapets and facades of unreinforced masonry (URM) buildings, you need to contact an appropriate building professional and your council.

If you want the work on the parapet and/or facade to be exempt from a building consent you must satisfy certain requirements, including using a chartered professional engineer for the design work. A chartered professional engineer can advise you what is structurally possible for your building and that will help you decide on your options.

Consider your options to secure URM parapets and facades has further information.

The following can provide useful information about finding and engaging a chartered professional engineer:

Your local council will also have advice on the consent requirements.

Building consent

You don’t need a building consent to secure the parapet and/or facade as long as:

  • the design of the building work is carried out or reviewed by a chartered professional engineer
  • the work is carried out in accordance with the engineer’s design
  • the work has regard to any applicable heritage values of the building or area to the extent that is reasonably practicable in the circumstances (your council can advise on heritage values)
  • the council is notified at least three days before any building work begins.

Resource consent

You don’t need a resource consent to secure the parapet and/or facade as long as:

  • you have received a section 124 notice from the Wellington City, Hutt City, Marlborough District or Hurunui District Councils instructing you to secure that parapet and/or facade within 12 months
  • the work you are doing is the work that is required to be done in that notice
  • the work does not involve partial or full demolition of the building, including the parapet and/or facade.

Other things to consider:

  • if you decide to do additional work, such as strengthening the building, you will need consents for that work. Talk to your council about this.
  • if the work will involve fencing off part of the pavement or street, check what council permits or fees are required.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: