Flood damaged buildings

Last updated: 3 April 2024

For homeowners and the occupiers of buildings affected by flood events.

It is recommended that in the first instance you contact your insurance company and local council, to explain your situation and understand your options. If you are a tenant you should also contact your landlord. It is also recommended that you take pictures and videos where possible of damage to your property.

This guide is intended to assist homeowners and the occupiers of buildings who have been affected by flood events. If you have any questions or concerns you should consult your local council, an engineer or other building professional or tradesperson.

If you are renting, contact your landlord to understand what steps they are taking in response to the damage.

This guide should be read in conjunction with any information from your insurance company and/or local council, especially if your home has been issued with a red or yellow placard by a Rapid Building Assessor.

More information on the Rapid Building Assessment programme.

For more in-depth information on flood relief and recovery, BRANZ has a useful resource on restoring a home after flood damage.

In this guidance

Legal requirements

  • Remedial and repair works need to meet the requirements of the Building Act.

Immediately after the flood

  • Steps you should take and what to consider immediately after the flood.

Removing water and identifying damage to building

  • How the flooding may have damaged key elements of your building and the potential risks associated with such damage.

Remove water damaged items

  • Information on how to remove water damaged items, and clean and dry out your home.

Repairs and minimising future damage

  • Considerations before carrying out repairs, and how to minimise future damage.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: