Engaging a professional

Last updated: 26 August 2020

exemptions engage professional

As a property owner, you are responsible for making sure your building project qualifies for a building consent exemption. Fortunately, New Zealand has numerous high-quality professionals you can work with.

Who do I engage to do the job?

It's important to follow the Building Code and other legislative requirements before you think about getting started on these projects, so you are best to consult with a professional if you're not sure what you're doing.

While some of the new exempt building work can be done without the help of a professional, others require the involvement of a Chartered Professional Engineer or Licensed Building Practitioner. You can read about who needs to do what on the Building projects that no longer need a building consent.

You can find one of these professionals by looking at these registers:

Find a Chartered Professional Engineer

Find a Licenced Building Practitioner

You're responsible for your building projects

If you own the property, you own the responsibility. This means you must check whether your building project requires a building consent or not.

Your responsibilities.

Ask for advice

There are plenty of other professionals who will be able to offer advice, so read this page to find out who else can offer advice to help you get started.

Ask for advice.

Other exempt building work

There are many other projects that don’t need a building consent -  you can learn about what projects are included.

How helpful was this information?

How helpful was this information?

Please note your feedback is anonymous. If you need a response, contact us.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: