Complaint form for Building Consent Authorities

Last updated: 4 April 2024

Building officials from Building Consent Authorities (BCAs), including Territorial Authorities (TAs), can make a complaint to the Building Practitioners Board if they believe licensed or unlicensed builders have not met the standards expected of them.

Building officials can make a complaint if they believe a licensed building practitioner (LBP) has not met their requirements as an LBP. This includes the following breaches:

  • negligent or incompetent work
  • work that does not comply with the building consent
  • a breach of the code of ethics
  • unlawfully using their licence to sign off restricted building work (RBW).

To see a full list of breaches building officials can make a complaint about, refer to the complaints form.

Building officials can also make a complaint if they find that an unlicensed builder has carried out RBW.

Refer to section 317 of the Building Act 2004 –

Obligation to make a complaint

Building officials are required to bring matters of concern about licensed and unlicensed builders to the Building Practitioners Board's attention. This helps to ensure that builders are, and remain, competent and accountable.

Refer to section 17(3A) of the Building (Accreditation of Building Consent Authorities) Regulations 2006 –

Making a complaint

Complete the complaints form and email it, along with supporting evidence, to

When submitting a complaint, remember to:

Once a complaint has been received, the building official will be contacted by an investigator and will be given a case number.

Complaints form for BCAs [PDF 565KB]

The Building Practitioners Board

The Board oversees the LPB scheme and is independent of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), but is supported by MBIE in the performance of its role and functions.

Part of the Board's function is to investigate and hear complaints about the conduct of licensed building practitioners (LBPs).

Read more about the Building Practitioners Board –

Read more about the LBP scheme –

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: