About these documents
This is a guide to building work which does not require a building consent under the Building Act 2004 (the Building Act). It concentrates on the list of exemptions contained in Schedule 1 of the Building Act.
This guide is mainly for building owners and practitioners who are planning to carry out or provide advice on any building work. It will also be of interest to regional and territorial authorities, who can use their discretion under Schedule 1 exemption 2 to exempt any building work from requiring a building consent.
Download the whole document as a PDF [6.1 MB] or read each section below.
- Latest changes and how to use this guide
- Exempt building work: What the law says
- Building owner responsibilities
- Schedule 1: Building work that does not require a building consent:
- Part 1: Exempted building work that can be carried out by anyone
- Part 2: Sanitary plumbing and drainlaying carried out by an authorised person
- Part 3: Building work for which design is carried out or reviewed by chartered professional engineer
- Glossary for Schedule 1 guidance