A territorial/regional authority performs the following functions (including any functions that are incidental and related to, or consequential upon, these functions).
- project information memoranda (PIM)
- building consents where the consent is subject to a waiver or modification of the Building Code
- certificates of acceptance
- compliance schedules and amending compliance schedules.
Power to inspect and enter land
Sections 222 to 228 provide details of the powers of entry to undertake an inspection. A clear reason for any inspection must be provided to the owner/occupier/builder.
- follows up and resolves notices to fix
- administers annual building warrants of fitness
- enforces the provisions relating to annual building warrants of fitness
- decides the extent to which buildings must comply with the Building Code when they are altered, their use is changed, or their specified intended life changes
- performs functions relating to dangerous, earthquake-prone or insanitary buildings
- determines whether building work is exempt under Schedule 1 (paragraph k) of the Building Act from requiring a building consent
- carries out any other functions and duties specified in the Building Act 2004
- administers dam safety regime.