Find out what each Alert Level means in the building and construction sector for retailer or suppliers.
Selling to the public
Alert Level 1
In-store retail can operate as normal for the public, provided appropriate public health measures are in place.
Alert Level 2
In-store retail can resume for the public, provided appropriate public health requirements are in place. Physical distancing is required for both workers and customers.
Alert Level 3
At Alert Level 3, retailers and suppliers can sell any building and construction sector goods to customers by phone/online order and contactless delivery or pickup. There is to be no physical interaction with the public.
Alert Level 4
Essential items may be sold to the public, using contactless ordering and delivery options.
Requirements and guidance on public health measures to operate your business under all levels can be found on the Business.govt.nz website
Selling to tradespeople
When providing supplies to tradespeople, suppliers and retailers must put in place health and safety measures such as online ordering and contactless pickup.
Alert Level 1
In-store retail is permitted, provided relevant health and safety measures are taken.
Alert level 2
In-store retail is permitted, provided relevant public health requirements are in place, including physical distancing between workers and customers.
Alert Level 3
At Alert level 3, all products can be sold to tradespeople. Physical presence in your store must be restricted to tradespeople obtaining supplies for essential services only, and tradespeople are not allowed in retail areas.
When providing supplies to tradespeople, suppliers and retailers are encouraged put in place additional safety measures such as online ordering and contactless pickup.
Minimum expectations are:
- Trading locations will be open in a restricted access manner for trade customers only
- Remote ordering options should be available to trade customers and delivery/pick up options to decrease the need for trade customers to visit the trading location
- Changes in trading layout, signage and staff trained to ensure physical distancing
- Processes in place to limit the number of trade customers on site at any time
- Additional cleaning and sanitising procedures in each site
- Contact tracing measures for trade locations and site deliveries such as sign in and sign out.
Alert level 4
At Alert level 4, only essential products may be sold to trades people only providing the materials are for essential services only and they show relevant identification. Essential items may be sold to the public, using contactless ordering and delivery options.