Use this calculator to help work out how many toilet pans, basins and urinals to include in buildings.
- is designed to be used to be used in conjunction with Acceptable Solution G1/AS1
- uses the method contained in G1/AS1 for determining the number of required pans, urinals and basins for use in buildings
- is intended for use by designers and building consent authorities
- does not change the requirements that have been in place since 2000
- is guidance under section 175 of the Building Act 2004.
The calculator works out the number of toilet pans, basins and urinals from either:
- the building use and the number of people using the building, if known
- or the building use, the occupant density and the floor area.
Limitations of the calculator
The calculator, on its own, will not produce a Building Code compliant solution as it does not cover:
- allocation and distribution of accessible toilet facilities
- definition of, or the distribution of unisex toilet facilities
- space requirements for toilets or accessible layouts
- calculation of showers.
The user should note the ‘occupant density’ menu option list is extensive and allows for a number of different building uses. Not all of the options on the ‘occupant density’ menu will be relevant to the selected building use.