Building on ground with liquefaction potential

You need an engineer to work out whether you need to build foundations that provide better performance than set out in the current standard, NZS 3604:2011 (including the modifications set out in B1/AS1 and explained in this guidance).

A territorial authority or regional council may have already identified ground with a potential for liquefaction and/or lateral spread. It may be noted on the LIM (Land Information Memorandum) for the property.

If you are a building consent authority, and the property is situated in an identified liquefaction hazard zone on a regional hazard map, you should advise building designers and owners to seek advice from a chartered professional engineer.

  • Of interest to Building owners, Designers
  • 1st edition

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: