About this document
Module 2 of the Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering Practice guidelines provides guidance on appropriate investigations to assess the ground conditions to support the seismic design of new structures.
Developed jointly by MBIE and the New Zealand Geotechnical Society, the module is part of the Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering Practice series and relates specifically to earthquake site investigation.
High level changes in this version include
- Additions and changes to Section 2.4 Site investigation planning
- Expanded and revised geophysical (shear wave) test procedures - most importantly a significant revision of the section on surface wave shear testing
- Revision of the recommended density of investigations to ensure better alignment with other guidance
- Incorporation of stronger link to the recent NZ Ground Investigation Specification.
- Minor content revisions, clarifications and updates, including consideration and incorporation of relevant existing feedback.
Other resources that are available include: