COVID-19 information for the building and construction sector Read more


Resolving a Weathertight Claim

Last updated: 8 March 2019

You can pursue other parties for the cost of repairing your leaky home through the Weathertight Homes Tribunal or under the Weathertight Homes Resolution Services Act 2006.

Resolution is the process of settling a claim. Your options to resolve your claim depend on the cost of repairs needed to fix your home. The options available under the Weathertight Homes Resolution Services Act are:

  • negotiation
  • mediation
  • or adjudication.

You may also choose to resolve your claim privately, or through the courts.

Weathertight Homes Tribunal

If the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has completed a full assessment of your property and you have been advised that your Weathertight Claim is eligible, you can apply to the Weathertight Homes Tribunal.

Weathertight Homes Tribunal on the Ministry of Justice website has more information on how to progress your claim through dispute resolution.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: