Existing Financial Assistance Package claims

Last updated: 8 March 2019

If you're a homeowner repairing your property through the Financial Assistance Package (FAP), the main steps in the process are covered below.

Note: The FAP scheme expired on 23 July 2016. However, claimants with an existing eligible claim under the Weathertight Homes Resolution Services Act, who are taking reasonable steps to progress their claim, can still access FAP contributions after 23 July 2016. Contact your claims advisor to check on progress and the likely timing of FAP contributions.

Arrange funding

Once your claim has been deemed eligible for the FAP, you will need to confirm you can afford 50 per cent or 75 per cent of the eligible repair cost (subject to council contribution) as stated in your full assessor’s report (including costs that do not qualify).

This is only provisional at this stage. You will have to reconfirm you can meet your share of the costs once you have established firm costs for the repair work  from providers (such as builders, designers etc) .

Homeowner agreement

Once you have confirmed you can afford your share of the repair costs, you will be offered a homeowner agreement. The homeowner agreement will be between you, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) and your council if they are contributing. The agreement is a legal document setting out the obligations of all parties.

Repair plans

The repair plan will include all the work needed to fix the damage identified in the full assessor’s report and, if your home is connected to other property, any damage identified for these buildings whether or not they are the subject of your claim.

You will need to engage with an architect or designer to discuss repair plans. Leaky home repairs must be undertaken by Licensed Building Practitioners (LBPs).

The council and MBIE review the repair plan

If the council is participating, it will review the repair plan first and then forward it to MBIE for review.

Building consent

Once your repair plan is approved, your designer finalises the design and prepares the building consent documents. The working drawings must match the approved repair plan scope.

MBIE and your council must have reviewed and approved your repair plan prior to you seeking consent. You are responsible for lodging the building consent application, or instructing someone to do so on your behalf.

Engage a builder to obtain quotes

You should have an approved repair plan before procuring your building contractor (often by going to tender). Having an approved repair plan will usually mean that you have firmly decided how you’re fixing your home and provide any potential building contractor(s) the information to offer you an accurate quote. 

It’s best to choose a qualified builder who has experience repairing leaky buildings of similar size and complexity. Like your designer, your builder supervising the repairs will need to be a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP). Search the online register of LBPs

Payment plan, funding and quotes

You will need to complete and submit a payment plan application and other relevant documentation to MBIE. You must have sufficient funding to cover your share of the total project cost including any costs outside of the approved repair.

Your application will be reviewed by MBIE, and you will be issued with an approved payment plan.

Notice to proceed

If you accept the payment plan and wish to start repairs on-site, you will issue a ‘notice to proceed’ to MBIE. The homeowner agreement becomes binding when we receive the notice to proceed. Your repair must proceed through to completion.

Remediation commences

MBIE will pay your first contribution payment. You can request a contribution towards the agreed costs you have incurred to date – these will usually be design and consent fees. The contributions are set up as milestone payments and will be paid out over the course of remediation.

Your builder can arrange for inspections for further milestone payments. Inspections by the council for building consent purposes and for FAP purposes are generally done at the same time.

Claim for milestone payments

You can make claims for milestone payments as per your payment plan.

Milestone payments do not normally change in the course of your repair. The total contribution amount will be adjusted at the completion of your project to reflect the actual cost of repairs, based on invoices. MBIE will pay the milestone payments into your bank account. You will pay your builder in accordance with your contract.

Completion of repairs and code compliance certificates

If the building consent authority (usually the council or its agent) believes the work is built in accordance with the building consent, a code compliance certificate will be issued.

Final payment claim

You will need to make a final payment claim to us, enclosing all invoices, except those already provided in support of your pre-repair costs. MBIE will calculate and make the final payment.

The final payment amount will often differ from that stated in your payment plan. Typically, the difference will be related to confirming the actual cost of works as provisional costs are replaced by actual costs.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: