Last updated: 21 March 2016
Applying for CodeMark takes time and investment, so you need to decide whether it is the right decision for your building product.
Product certification, CodeMark, is designed to lift standards of building quality and performance.
Because of the extra time and cost involved in achieving CodeMark certification, it is best suited to innovative, higher-risk products where the manufacturer or supplier may find it difficult to satisfy BCAs that the product is Building Code compliant. It is also suited to manufacturers or suppliers seeking to improve their product’s acceptance in the New Zealand market.
If your product is CodeMark-certified, it:
- proves it meets Building Code performance requirements
- ensures it is capable of performing as intended
- streamlines the building consent and inspection process
- gives you a marketing advantage
- is listed on our public register.
CodeMark is unchallengeable and has legal status equivalent to that of an Acceptable Solution or Verification Method. Building consent authorities (BCAs, usually councils) must accept a CodeMark certified product as complying with the New Zealand Building Code when it is used in building work, as long as the product is specified for use in accordance with the certificate.
Product certificates are valid indefinitely – until withdrawn by the certificate holder. They may also be suspended or revoked by us or the product certification body in certain situations.
Audience for product certificates
The main users of product certificates are:
- BCAs when assessing building consent applications, as they must accept certified products as Building Code compliant within any conditions and limitations noted on the certificate and when used in accordance with that certificate
- designers and specifiers when considering or comparing building products and checking where and how they can be used
- trade merchants to promote products and assure consumers that products are Building Code compliant (when used in certain situations)
- building owners when selecting products.