Building Code requirements for house insulation

Homes in New Zealand must have adequate insulation, so you need to make sure they have the right level of thermal resistance (R-value) for their location. You can find information on zone specific R-values, as well as the calculation and modelling method for showing compliance with the Building Code Clause H1.

This guidance document is relevant when using H1/AS1 and H1/VM1 4th Edition Amendment 4 2017. It does not apply to the Fifth Edition of H1/AS1 and H1/VM1 or the First Edition of H1/AS2 and H1/VM2 published on 29 November 2021. This guidance document will be removed at the end of the transition period for the new documents on 3 November 2022.

  • Published on 30 October 2008
  • ISBN: 978-0-478-32748-9 (Print) / 978-0-478-32747-2 (Online)
  • 1st edition

How helpful was this information?

Please note your feedback is anonymous. If you need a response, contact us.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: