Skip to main content.

What pool owners need to know about pool barrier inspections

Last updated: 14 June 2017

There are three steps for pool barrier inspections for residential pools.

Process for pool barrier inspections

Step 1

If you have a residential pool on your property, you should notify your territorial authority (local council).

Step 2

The territorial authority will let you know when your swimming pool is due to be inspected. Residential swimming pools are required to be inspected every three years.

Step 3

You then have the choice between engaging your territorial authority or a pool inspector to perform the inspection. The fees charged to inspect pool barriers will vary.

The pool inspector regime took effect from 1 January 2017 but a pool inspector may not yet be available in your area. However, your local territorial authority can still inspect your pool.

You can find a local pool inspector through MBIE’s pool inspector public register

Definition of residential pool can be found on the Legislation website.

Restricting access to residential pools has further information.

Making a complaint

If you engaged a MBIE-registered pool inspector (ie they do not work for a territorial authority) and you are not happy with any of the matters below, you may make a complaint to MBIE.

A complaint may be about a pool inspector’s:

A complaint may also be made about an inspector who you believe is not registered with MBIE as an independently qualified pool inspector and who is also not from your local council. Find out if the person in question is registered by checking the Pool inspector public register.

Your complaint may relate to a person who is no longer an independent qualified pool inspector.

If you wish to make a complaint, please complete the Pool Inspector Complaint Form for Pool Owners.

Complaints may lead to a pool inspector being disciplined.

MBIE cannot consider complaints regarding payment or contractual disputes. Please note that MBIE does not provide remedy or redress for pool owners in relation to a pool inspector’s misconduct or quality of work. 

The Disputes Tribunal may be able to assist with redress and disputes about payment or contractual matters.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: