Quiz answers: Your duty in labour-only contracts – Records of Work

Posted: 30 May 2019

Correct answers are in bold text.


1. When should you provide a ROW to the homeowner and Territorial Authority?

a. Once you have finished working on your section of the RBW.
b. Once the entire building project is complete.
c. Once the client has paid for the work completed.

2. Your employer asks you to complete all the ROWs on a site, including for RBW completed by other LBPs and/or unlicensed builders you did not personally supervise. Why should you say no?

a. If there is a problem with the RBW, it will be harder to prove you are not responsible for it.
b. You are undermining the LBP scheme by enabling unlicensed and unsupervised builders to do RBW illegally.
c. You could be disciplined by the Board for not complying with your obligations.
d. All of the above.

3. You are completing RBW within your licence class, but you are using a material or technique you are unfamiliar with, so you get another LBP with more experience to give you some tips and guidance. Who should complete the ROW?

a. The other LBP providing guidance on the work, as they are the expert.
b. You, as you are doing the work.
c. Both you and the expert LBP.

4. A project is running behind schedule. To try and catch up, your employer asks you to do extra work on a job which is outside your area of competence. What should you do?

a. Agree, they are in a tight spot and being a team player will help to complete the project and make the client happy.
b. Say no, because you might end up doing a poor job and the Board could penalise you personally for doing incompetent work.
c. Agree, but only if someone who is competent assists or supports you so you can be assured you are doing it correctly.
d. B & C are acceptable.

This information is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Executive. It is a general guide only and, if used, does not relieve any person of the obligation to consider any matter to which the information relates according to the circumstances of the particular case. Expert advice may be required in specific circumstances. Where this information relates to assisting people: