Posted: 30 May 2019
Many of these Standards contain performance solutions and settings for Building Code compliance. MBIE is reviewing these to ensure they are fit for purpose and kept up to date, as part of our wider role to develop and maintain the Building Code.
MBIE and Standards NZ have been working collaboratively to agree on the prioritisation of Standards to be reviewed in the year July 2019 to June 2020. Priority has been placed on Standards that contribute to the densified housing solutions, but a number of criteria have been considered. These include an analysis of how critical the Standard is for showing compliance with the Building Code, the overall use by the sector, and if the Standard still sets an appropriate level of performance for New Zealand.
This collaboration and analysis has resulted in a priority list of Standards for MBIE to review over the next 12 months. We will work with Standards NZ and the relevant technical associations to commission and support the review of the following Standards:
- NZS 3604:2011 Timber-framed buildings (referenced in B1/AS1 and E2/AS1)
- NZS 4431:1989 Code of practice for earth fill for residential development (referenced in B1/VM1)
- NZS 3404 Parts 1 and 2:1997 Steel structures (referenced in B1/VM1) or AS 4100 Steel Structures
- NZS 4211:2008 Specification for performance of windows (referenced in E2/AS1)
- NZS 4510:2008 Fire hydrant systems for buildings (referenced in C/AS2)
- NZS 4303:1990 Ventilation for acceptable indoor air quality (referenced in G4/AS1)
- NZS 4218:2009 Thermal insulation – Housing and small building envelope (referenced in H1/AS1)