Posted: 3 April 2019
During 2018, MBIE met with key stakeholders from across the building sector to understand what is holding the sector back and how it could be more efficient and effective. These discussions helped us get a better understanding of the problems. We found the concerns fall under three common themes:
- Roles and responsibilities are not clear.
- Information is not available when it is needed.
- It is difficult to hold people accountable for the quality of their work.
To address these concerns, MBIE will propose changes in the areas of:
- building products and methods
- occupational regulation, specifically the regimes for licensed building practitioners, engineers, and plumbers, gasfitters and drainlayers
- risk and liability
- the building levy
- offences and penalties.
We want to hear your thoughts on the proposals. Details about how to make a submission will be announced when the consultation opens.