Posted: 2 March 2015
This Building Controls Update is a periodic news bulletin for the building sector.
MBIE have released an eighth issue of technical clarifications and updates to the Guidance document ‘Repairing and rebuilding houses affected by the Canterbury earthquakes’, December 2012.
These technical clarifications and updates should be read in conjunction with the Guidance document itself. They have been prepared for professional engineers and others implementing the guidance to provide them with greater explanation, new knowledge, and to respond to new issues that have been raised.
The updates provide further clarification and guidance on the following topics:
- Required embedment depth for the slab of a Type 2A foundation
- Explanation of the deletion references in the margins of the residential guidance
- When and how to reinstate the vapour barrier in the Damp Proof Membrane under the slab following partial slab replacement or slab relevelling
- Recommended skill requirements for people taking measurements of level and wall verticality as part of the information gathering toward determining a repair strategy
- The outcome of the review of the guidance on Type 2 foundation plywood skirts referred to in question 44 of the fifth issue of technical clarifications and updates
Further technical updates will be developed as the need arises. The information from the clarifications and updates will be incorporated into the next version of the Guidance document Repairing and rebuilding houses affected by the Canterbury earthquakes.